Landlords and owners have a legal duty to provide tenants with safe, sanitary housing. This includes but is not limited to an obligation to provide:
- Effective waterproofing and weather protection of roof and exterior walls, including unbroken windows and door
- Plumbing or gas facilities that conformed to applicable law in effect at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.
- a water supply that produces hot and cold running water, connected to a sewage disposal system
- Heating facilities maintained in good working order
- Electrical lighting and wiring maintained in good working order
- Clean Building/grounds, free of trash, rodents and vermin
- Adequate trash receptacles kept in clean condition
- Floors/stairs and railings maintained in good repair
- Locking mail receptacle for each unit
A landlord cannot hold a tenant responsible for repairing and maintaining any of the above.
In the case of pest infestations, landlords must investigate tenant complaints and hire professional pest control operators to address any infestations. If you have problems with pests in your house or apartment:
- Notify your landlord immediately in writing.
- Take photos to document the problems if possible.
- Follow up with your landlord if the issue is not resolved
- Get a card and the names / company name of any repair person or exterminator who comes to the property
- Keep track of aany costs you incur as a result of the infestation to replace items, for medical care, or for traps / sprays etc. Hold onto your receipts.
- Consider contacting the Department of Public Health to schedule an inspection by the City.
Mice, bedbugs and other pests are not just a part of living in a city. They are dangerous conditions that your landlord must deal with in the proper manner.
Our office has extensive experience working with tenants who have been made to live with pest infestations. If you are dealing with a pest infestation contact us today to discuss how we can help.
These are some of our results and not a guarantee of an outcome.
Recovered in action on behalf of eight tenants in Hayward SRO involving egregious substandard living conditions - bedbugs, roaches, mice, faulty electricity, harassment, and numerous building violations.
Recovered in constructive eviction lawsuit on behalf of tenant living with bedbugs and other uninhabitable conditions in San Francisco mid-market apartment building.